Skip to navigation | Skip to content | Skip to footer

Key dates over May 1915

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31

Lives lost on this day: 1

3rd May 1915 - Artilleryman writes Home

Rolling casualty count: 1076

1st Batt: In billets at Rue de Bruges. Relieved the E. Lancs in Section 1; 2nd Batt: Battalion marched at 11.15am to relieve 2/Royal Berkshire Regt in trenches at Cuinchy. Relief completed by 4.30pm. ‘C’ & ‘D’ Coys in front line trenches, ‘B’ Coy in support trench, ‘A’ Coy in Willow Line. Very quiet night, very little rifle fire. A few ‘phizz bangs’ came over the trenches into the village. No casualties;3rd Batt: In billets at Dickebush;

Boys’ Own Brotherhood: The ninth half-yearly prize distribution took place at the YMCA Rooms, Copenhagen Street. The programme consisted of solos by Miss El Coleman and Mr. Simmonds, a reading by Bro. G. Harris, a short address by Bro. R. Glover on “The profit gained by belonging to the B.O.B.” A vote of thanks was given to the Secretary, Registrars, and leaders. The prizes were then handed to the boys by Mrs. Simmonds. This brought a very pleasant evening to a close;

Mrs. Badham, of Tallow Hill, has received a letter from her son who is with the Worcester Artillery. It was written on the 27th April. He says: “I am now in the firing-line, and three of us had a nice cold water bath here this morning, just by the guns. Yesterday, we saw a duel in the air between two aeroplanes, it was very exciting. We have not done much for the last day or two, but other guns are going off close by us. You would think there was no war to see our chaps playing football just behind the guns. The food is good.” In another letter, he says: “The Germans are firing near us today. It was real sport to watch the shells bursting about a quarter of a mile away, I quite enjoyed it;”

Former Worcester Resident Killed: News has been received of the death of first-class Petty Officer John Potter, of HMS Canopus, who was killed in action at the Dardanelles, on April 29th. At the time he was called up to join the Royal Fleet Reserve he was in charge of the Cemetery at Ledbury. Prior to that he resided for twelve months in Worcester.;

Information researched by Sue Redding